The Logistics Testing and Applications Division’s (LTAD) engineering and testing facilities within the U.S. Army Sustainment Command, Packaging, Storage, and Containerization Center (ASC PSCC), represent one of the largest applications testing facilities in the U.S. The laboratory occupies multiple rooms totaling 29,573 sq. ft. of indoor space and houses test equipment, as well as supporting administrative and storage areas. Testing equipment and methods are continually being upgraded alongside employee expertise to meet the demands of the ever-changing environment encompassing development of new packaging materials and processes. It is the only Department of Defense (DoD) testing facility that has been certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) and is one of only a few laboratories with the ability to completely validate a packaging design in accordance with ASTM D4169 Distribution Cycle 18 (Performance Testing of Shipping Containers and Systems), for government shipments.
In response to the mission, functions, and programs assigned to ASC PSCC, the LTAD Lab regularly:
- Serves as a DoD entry point for testing and evaluation of industry-developed packaging concepts, materials, and processes for which ASC PSCC is designated as the lead service activity per DOD Joint Service Regulation AR 700-15, Packaging of Materiel.
- Serves as an Army entry point for testing and evaluation of industry-developed concepts and equipment in the areas of packaging, storage, and containerization.
- Monitors the usage of acceptable systems and products within the supply system.
- Conducts performance testing of hazardous materials (HAZMAT) packaging for DoD and other federal activities.
- Actively participates in industry/government associations and committees, such as the:
- DoD Joint Working Group on Pallet Standardization
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- ASTM (formerly known as the American Society for Testing and Materials)
- Provides evaluation and assistance in the development of voluntary consensus standards through "round robin" testing in support of ASTM.
- Performs packaging design and analysis.
- Supports the Department of Transportation (DOT) with comparative performance testing of HAZMAT packaging and technical expertise, for use with enforcement, training, and corrective actions.
LTAD maintains several programs and offers a variety of testing and other services to meet the needs of the DoD, other federal organizations, and private industry. Our staff of skilled engineers, as well as technicians and packaging specialists are available to address your packaging challenges to ensure your materiel is protected during storage and shipment, so that it arrives in a readiness condition. Our leading-edge test equipment can replicate virtually any environmental, handling, and transportation condition that packaging may be subjected to during world-wide storage and transportation. We stand ready to test your packaging materials and designs.
Follow the links below to learn more about our areas of expertise and testing capabilities: